2014年7月3日木曜日

The Golden Episode

Paintings memorialize things, right?
...Even the smile of a cherished person...
Hatsukoi Limited, episode 9
Every so often, I come across an episode of an anime that blows me away. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if it was already one of the most well-made anime I'd ever seen before. The kind of episode I'm talking about stands up and above not just the series it comes from, but nearly any given episode of any anime. An episode like this can be the key in deciding whether I recommend a series to somebody or not. It can boost my opinion of an otherwise mediocre anime significantly. This post will contain a few spoilers, so consider yourself warned.

I started this post with a scene from Hatsukoi Limited. This is a perfect example of an episode that changes my entire opinion on a series. While it had it's ups and downs, I would say that Hatsukoi Limited is just a fun, fan-service riddled high school romance comedy, so episode 9, "In Full Bloom For Those Memories," really caught me by surprise. It's basically self-contained. It brings the first real introduction to Chikura, as well as her love interest, and it tells her main story from beginning to end right then and there. And it is beautiful, thanks, in no small part to, this beautiful song by Marble.

I've only been watching anime for four years, and the first one I ever watched was Azumanga Daioh! I'm prefacing this paragraph with this information, because I think it makes me a bit biased, but the 24th episode of Azumanga Daioh! will always hold a place in my heart. Suddenly it felt like the entire series was character development for Sakaki, building up to this climax. The stoic girl who reveled in all things cute, but was too embarrassed and self-conscious to express herself finally got what she had always wanted: an adorable kitty to snuggle with. Not only does she have a moment of sheer bliss, rolling around and cuddling with her new friend, Mayaa the cat, but she also has a heartwarming one-on-one conversation with the tiny Chiyo, who earnestly reassures her that she, the big, scary Sakaki, is cute herself.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the most inconsistent shows I've ever seen. Some of the episodes are atrocious (like any episode involving Vicious), and others are a complete joy to behold. In fact, I daresay this series has two "Golden Episodes," one right after the other. The first is the infamous "Mushroom Samba" episode, 17. But, as great as that episode was and is, the next episode, "Speak Like a Child," completely shattered my expectations, again, and has a level of depth not quite met by the mushroom episode. The entire concept of the episode is so wildly original that I can't help but grin just thinking about it. The two main characters jump through all kinds of ridiculous hoops to get their hands on a Betamax player, so that they can play a tape that came in the mail addressed to neither of them. What they discover on the tape is a message from Faye to her future self, which creates a beautiful and depressing scene, where Faye can see her past right before her eyes, but still can't remember.

I could spend all day going over the best single episodes of anime, but there are a lot, and it would be a waste of my time and yours. I'll turn the rest into a list, and we'll call this an "honorable mention" section, although that isn't to say these are at all inferior to the aforementioned. That also isn't to say that this is a comprehensive list. I'm probably forgetting some. Without further ado:

K-On!!, Episode 20, "Yet Another School Festival!"
An intense concert that makes you feel like you're there, followed by an emotional landslide.

Hellsing, Episode 10, "Master of Monster"
An epic origin story that stands high above it's mediocre parent series.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Episode 10, "I Won't Rely On Anyone Anymore"
Also an origin story, interesting and eye-opening, and topped off with a tearjerker.

Yuru Yuri, Episode 12, "Everyone's Poka Poka at Training Camp"
The already hilarious Yuru Yuri goes out with a bang. The entire cast joins up in a fan service-laced mess of hysterical antics.

Bakemonogatari, Episode 12, "Tsubasa Cat, Part Two"
Takes an unexpected detour from the plot to expand on Senjogahara and Araragi's relationship. Chock-full of touching, romantic dialog.

Have you ever seen a "Golden Episode?" Let me know where the gold is in the comments!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿